Non-toxic boat renovation with gentle and safe paint & varnish removal
There are tons of reasons why it could be high time to renovate your boat. Your boat might be due for a refresh before summer starts or maybe your boat is need of a little more – like a total renovation? Boat renovations can get a little complicated, especially if the boat has a paint containing toxic substances like biocides. On this page, we’ve compiled a long list of tips and important things to consider when renovating your boat.
There are a lot of methods out there for removing paint, but it’s hard to beat Speedheater’s IR technology which ensures you won’t be exposed to toxins while renovating your boat, and it makes the job significantly faster than other methods. Speedheater’s IR system removes several coats of paint and varnish in just a few seconds. Additionally, you don’t have to worry about harmful fumes, releasing toxins or damaging the surface of your boat.
Renovate your boat without releasing toxins into the environment
Taking care of our environment and our water is an extremely important part of boat renovation. Many boats are painted with paint that is dangerous for both you and the environment, especially if it contains biocides.
What are biocides? Biocides are a pesticide meant to control harmful organisms. They are very effective against, for example, the growth of algae and barnacles on hulls, but if biocides get into the water, they can harm other aquatic organisms. Today, there are anti-fouling paints available that are made without biocides, or you can mechanically, i.e. by hand, remove any growth from your boat’s hull a few times each season. However, a very large number of boats still have paint that contain these dangerous substances.
At Speedheater, we offer paint removal solutions using IR technology that ensure that any toxic substances in paint, such as biocides or lead,never get released. You also don’t need a solvent or anything like that. Safe for both you and the environment. And that’s not all – our paint removal technology is gentle on your boat and minimizes the risk of damaging your boat’s surface.
By removing harmful paint from your boat, you also remove any toxic substances that harm the aquatic environment as well as anyone swimming nearby that might otherwise be exposed to the toxins. Old cracked paint also slows your boat down.
Whether you are a professional or a beginner, Speedheater’s products make paint removal fast, effective and non-toxic! We have the tools you need to prepare the material and efficiently tackle narrow crevices and large surfaces fast. And you don’t need to worry about damaging the surface or being exposed to hazardous fumes while working. Pretty amazing, right?
BOAT RENOVATION TIPS
Thorough work and maintenance keep both your boat and the environment in tip-top shape
- Keep your boat’s hull barnacle-free and algae-free using non-toxic methods, such as mechanical cleaning, using a hull cover, storing it on land, etc.
A non-toxic hull for you and the environment In order for your boat’s hull to be fully non-toxic, your boat must either have never been painted with any toxic anti-fouling paint or your boat must be fully sanitized and stripped of all old paint coats. If you previously painted your boat but have stopped painting it since, the old paint is still there.
Want to make your boat’s hull environmentally friendly? The best thing you can do for your own health and the environment is to choose a biocide-free method of protecting the hull from growth, e.g., through boatwashes, other types of mechanical cleaning, using a hull cover, etc.
Choose a primer that protects against moisture.
For top coats, use a qualitative biocide-free paint that forms a hard surface, which enables and makes mechanical cleanings easier as well as reduces environmental impact.
Remove old anti-fouling paint and varnish
Effective, non-toxic and gentle paint & varnish removal
- Removing paint and varnish must be done in a way that is safe for both your health and the environment, using the right equipment and protective measures. Without these precautions, there is a risk of the toxic particles affecting both the environment and the health of the person performing the work. If paint removal is done incorrectly, it can have a greater health and environmental impact than just leaving the biocides on the hull in the first place.
- It is also important that the person performing the work protects themself, e.g., by wearing protective clothing, gloves and respiratory protection.
- Paint residue is considered hazardous waste (especially any that contains biocides) and must be collected and taken to the nearest recycling center for proper disposal. Change out of work clothes on-site as soon as you are done.
- Preparing everything you need in advance is the key to any successful boat renovation project. That is why it is so important to use tools and methods that not only facilitate the work, but also make it efficient and fun.
- Use Speedheater’s paint scrapers and heating systems to soften and scrape off large areas of paint at once. It doesn’t get any more efficient than that.
- Speedheater utilizes unique IR technology that heats the surface so that paint easily comes off without releasing toxic fumes or damaging the underlying surface. Our heating systems come in several different sizes and feature smart suspension arms that make your work even easier, Frees up both hands, so you can get to scraping. And while you scrape, heat up the next surface!
Watch our tutorial video below for a thorough walkthrough of how to renovate your boat using Speedheater’s products.
Important to keep in mind
Tips to make boat renovation environmentally friendly
Cover your work area with a plastic sheet or tarp so that you can easily collect all waste (including paint flakes, sanding dust, sanding water, organic waste and old protective equipment, etc.).
If you’re scraping the bottom of the boat yourself, make sure you collect up all scraps and waste and take it to a recycling center for proper disposal. Stay up to date on the current environmental rules and regulations of your country and region.
If scraping will be done professionally in Sweden, special rules from the Swedish Work Environment Authority apply.
- Avoid painting your boat with any anti-fouling containing biocides, as biocides have negative effects on the environment and pose health risks.
- In Sweden, there are regulations on which paints are allowed in different bodies of water and different municipalities. For more information on regulations in Sweden, we recommend that you contact the Swedish Transport Agency and your municipality for guidance.
Tutorial video - boat renovation
Speedheater’s IR technology makes boat renovation fast and non-toxic
Renovating a boat requires time and patience, but our tools make work efficient and minimizes the risks for you, your boat and the environment. Working with scrapers and toxic solvents is unnecessarily strenuous, hazardous and you risk marring and destroying the underlying surface. In many cases, boats have multiple layers of toxic paint and varnish, especially if the boat is older. That’s why choosing the right paint removal method is essential in terms of both effectiveness and overall safety.
Versatile tools that minimize the risk of damaging the surface
With Speedheater, you can quickly soften and remove multiple layers of paint and varnish at once. Our products let you gently remove paint all the way down to the surface in just a few seconds. The final product of any painting project always depends on the base layer of paint. Once the paint has warmed up and softened, it becomes easy to scrape off without damaging the surface.
Start repainting right away without waiting
In just a few minutes, you’ll have a clean and paintable surface. Thanks to our unique technology, your surface will be dry and cool enough after the treatment to start repainting immediately – no waiting required!
Environmentally friendly and durable technology for boat renovation
Using infrared technology to remove paint is gentle on both you and the environment. With our products, there’s no need to handle any chemicals or endanger yourself or the environment. Our IR technology ensures non-toxic paint removal. As if that wasn’t enough, our products are designed with long-term quality and durability in mind, meaning our products will stay with you for many renovation projects to come.
Contact us to get advice personalized to your paint removal and boat renovation needs
Speedheater is a company that develops, manufactures and sells products and system solutions for putty, varnish and paint removal. We are a company that strives at every stage to facilitate and streamline our method for paint removal. The Speedheater IR System is a method that is more environmentally friendly, safer and more affordable than all other methods for removing paint. Feel free to get in touch for a free quote on our unbeatable method for heating and removing paint from exteriors, boats, furniture and cars.